Those Who Served: O

  • Ogens Monte
    Ogens Monte

    Sgt. Monte Ogens
    Serial No. 16047491
    U. S. Army Air Corps
    European Theater

    "Known Information: On January 11, 1944, at approximately 1240 hours, when flying over the Peleponnensis, an explosion seemed to occur in the front of the aircraft. We were at 19,900 feet. I bailed out at three of four thousand feet. When I bailed out, the entire front of the plane from the bomb bay forward was gone. The first night I met Lt. Daley and Sgt. Rappelye who had bailed out safely. The next morning I searched the hillside and found the bodies of all the others on my crew due north of the monastery of Penajia near the small village of Platostea in the Hrymanthos Mountains. A Greek Orthodox priest held a service and we buried the men: Lts. Elkins and Shields in a common grave, Sgts. Young, Harkey and Day in another and Lt. Williams and Sgt. Des Ruisseau in a third. The next day, in another section of the same valley, I found the tails of three other B-17s: #098-301st Bm.Gp (Sgt. Raley's ship; I believe he was the only crew member alive), #231396-301st Bm. Gp. from which there were no survivors, and one tail with the 97th Bm. Gp. Insignia on it, but the number was obliterated." Casualty Report by Monte Ogens

  • Orenstein Larry
    Orenstein Larry

    SM 2/c Larry Orenstein
    Serial No. 399-16-7710
    U. S. Navy
    July 22, 1944 - June 18, 1946
    Pacific Theater

    My service included delivering aviation fuel during the invasion of Mindennaoh, Cebu and Panay in the Philippines - the same in the Dutch East Indies. I was stationed in Cavite, Manila, and Yokosuka, Japan. Attending Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services in Cebu City, Philippines, was memorable for me. The congregation consisted of servicemen, nurses and war correspondents from the US and France - no civilians.

  • Ottenstein David
    Ottenstein David

    David Ottenstein
    Serial No. 02079556
    U. S. Army
    June 26, 1944 - 1946
    Pacific Theater

    I was drafted on June 26th, 1944 and spent 13 weeks in Basic Infantry Training in Florida. Having had 2 years of civil engineering at Marquette University, the Army sent me to Rutgers for 6 months for more engineering. The battle in the Pacific got worse, so they sent me to Texas to join a combat engineering outfit. We left the states on June 26th, 1945, and arrived in the Philippines on July 26th. When the War ended on August 15th, we were sent to Japan as occupation forces. We arrived on approximately September 15th, 1945, and left Japan around May 15th, 1946. I was discharged at Camp McCoy.

    I was a T-5 and last served as an electrician in the Army. I came back and finished at Marquette with a B.A. degree with a major in accounting. The rest is history. At 80, I am still working and enjoying it. We have 4 children and 4 grandchildren. I married a Weinshel. My wife's family moved to Madison in 1929. We got married in 1949 and moved here in 1950.

    David Ottenstein,
    October 8, 2004

  • Ottenstein Jack
    Ottenstein Jack

    Cpl. Jack Ottenstein
    U. S. Army
    August 1942 - October 1945

    Part of my basic training involved living outside of Fort Bliss in a tent on the desert. At the end of the training, we had to hike 25 miles in the desert. I walked 23 miles and fell on my face. My feet were covered with blisters. The truck, picking up soldiers who couldn't finish, took me back to camp. When my anti-Semitic sergeant saw me come in, he said, "You walked 23 miles. You are a good Jew!" While attending Rosh Hashanah service in El Paso, I saw Dr. Erv and Harriet Hansher. He was stationed nearby at Biggs Field. We saw each other on weekends for several months until he was transferred.