To find out how the Children's Outing Society operates today, go to http://www.coa-yfc.org/
In 1906, Elizabeth Kander and other Jewish women founded "The Personal Relief Society," the precursor of the Children's Outing Association. Mrs. Eugene Friend, a leading spirit, recruited members who, in the first year of its activity, took eight Jewish children to the Tent Colony of the Mission Kindergarten at Whitewater for fresh air and sunshine.
Each year Mrs. Kander would see that as many needy children as possible were able to attend the Fresh Air Camp and would personally visit them throughout the summer to ensure they received good food, learned good manners and thrived in the fresh air.
In 1909, the Children's Outing Society, as it was renamed, acquired four acres of land on the Milwaukee River near Thiensville and established the Fresh Air Camp. This camp was often referred to as the "Home."
By 1923, 300 children were enjoying the Fresh Air Camp. In 1924, the Children's Outing Society joined the Council of Jewish Women's Organizations of Milwaukee. Eventually it became clear the facilities at Thiensville had become inadequate and that larger quarters were needed. In 1926 a committee was formed to consider a prospective buyer for the property and by 1928 investigation was well underway for purchase of a new camp site.
For 20 years the Society conducted the Fresh Air Camp along the Milwaukee River. Today one can visit the original camp, which is also the former site of the well-known Boder's Restaurant.